Background Information on Dee House
Dee House is a Grade II Listed Building, which is owned by Cheshire West and Chester Council.
It was built around 1730 for James Comberbach, a former Mayor of Chester, and sits on part of the unexcavated area of Chester Amphitheatre.
Alterations to Dee House
In 1854 the house was bought by an order of Roman Catholic nuns. In 1867, they commissioned Liverpool architect Edmund Kirby to extend the building with a new classroom and chapel to the east of the original house, designed in a Gothic style.
A late 19th century extension to the west matches the design of the original house.
Although the original house was refitted in the early 19th century, much of the 18th century fabric survives, including the main entrance hall and staircase, doorcases and plaster ceilings.
The Victorian extensions demonstrate the revival of Roman Catholicism in the region during the second half of the 19th century. The national importance of the complex is reflected in its listing in Grade II.
Dee House has been vacant for many years and is in a significant state of disrepair.
Historic England has produced an investigation and assessment into Dee House. More information is available at the Historic England website.
Dee House Questions Answered
Cllr Louise Gittins answers questions about Dee House in Chester: